Facilitate the transfer of patients from a hospital to the home care setting. Facilitate the provision of home care to patients as referred by the attending physician or others. Assists in providing continuity of medical care and organization of family resources. Responsible for expanding the presence of Comfort Care Hospice and Comfort Care Home Health in the communities we serve, through building and maintaining relationships with physicians, hospitals, long term care, independent and assisted living facilities and other community resources while interacting with other sales team members. This position is responsible for calling on referral sources, educating referral sources about hospice and home health services, assisting with gaining access to hospice and home health services.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, preferred.
- Must hold a current and valid RN or Social Worker license in the state employed.
- Two (2) years hospice and/or home health experience preferred.
- Two (2) years healthcare sales experience preferred, but not required.
- Must be able to relate positively and favorably to patients, families and outside agencies and to work cooperatively with other Employees.
- Must be capable of maintaining regularly scheduled attendance.
- Communicates with medical staff, nursing staff, and other operational partners.
- Willing to work beyond normal working hours, and in other positions temporarily, when necessary.
- Must meet all local health regulations and pass post-employment exam, if required.
- Related administrative experience at a level necessary to accomplish this position.
- Must hold a current driver’s license and automobile liability insurance in state employed.
- Subject to working conditions that may be less than favorable (i.e. unclean homes, homes without running water and/or electricity, inclement weather, server down, etc.)
- Subject to hostile and/or emotionally upset patients, family members and others.
- Subject to witnessing family arguments and/or emotionally charged behavior.
- Subject to working with patients with inadequate caregivers in the home.
- Must have patience, tact, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm, as well as be willing to handle a patient/family/referral source on whatever maturity level or emotional level they are currently functioning.
- Must be flexible and be able to identify and work through problems.
- Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with patients, staff members and support agencies.
- Must be capable of performing the Essential Job Functions of this position with or without accommodation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and maintain contact with key referral sources and discharge planning services and/or management to provide ongoing updates on company's hospice and home health services available in a market.
- Promote exemplary customer service to physicians, facility personnel, patient and patient family at all times.
- Primarily conduct pre-discharge hospital visits at the referral sources‘ request to determine the eligibility for hospice and home health.
- Ensure effective communication and collaboration with agency staff and marketing consultant by actively participating in meetings.
- Inform hospital personnel, patient and / or family of acceptance to hospice and home health and documents all demographic, clinical and payer information, on company approved forms to support diagnosis and hospice orders. Assist with discharge planning by communicating with the Hospitalist/attending physician regarding the discharge, patient care and medications.
- Follow up on all referrals not admitted to hospice/home health services..
- Provide education and / or continuing education programs for referral sources. Utilize appropriate company resources to maintain and develop business opportunities.
- Actively participate with Director of Business Development in development of business and market growth plans.
- Maintain positive relationships with referral sources and community organizations, facilitate communication between referral sources, client and family populations, and attend professional organization meetings.
- Educate referral sources regarding other specialty programs offered by the company.
- Management and overall responsibility for any applicable e-discharge systems, including, but not limited to, accepting referrals in coordination with Agency Administrator or designee.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.